"That's a great deal to make one word mean," Alice said in a thoughtful tone. "When I make a word do a lot of work like that," said Humpty Dumpty, "I always pay it extra."

Friday, 16 October 2009



A tambour is a frame made of two hoops - used for embroidering.
It is also a hollowed out frame drum and the flexible shutter on a roll-top desk or sliding doors for cupboards.


  1. I love embroidery & roll top desks. AND I never knew the name! You're amazing! Where do you find this stuff???

  2. You've got me wondering now, is an embroidery tambour the original origin of the tambourine?

  3. Le tambour - from which our tambour and tambourine both come - is the French for a drum (and also the French for an embroidery frame). I assume the shape of the circular drum led to to its use for the tambourine and frame.