"That's a great deal to make one word mean," Alice said in a thoughtful tone. "When I make a word do a lot of work like that," said Humpty Dumpty, "I always pay it extra."

Saturday 19 December 2009

People voice

 
A ‘people voice’ is a modern term for the voice that someone uses when talking to people who aren't their friends or family. This voice is automatically happy, nicer and sweeter than their normal voice. It is also often more high pitched. This is often the voice people use when answering a telephone or when working in retail.

Similar to the ‘people voice’ is the ‘girlfriend voice’ which includes a change in pitch or tone of a man's voice when talking to their significant other. The girlfriend voice is characterized by a higher pitch and a more effeminate tone with speech patterns scattered with pet names and childish words.
 

1 comment:

  1. Interesting names. I know I used to have a 'phone voice' when I worked as secretary, I still put it on when I have to make official phone calls...

    Don't forget the pet voice (talking to cute animals) and the baby voice (talking to very small children). They usually go up in incredibly high pitch...!

    ReplyDelete