"That's a great deal to make one word mean," Alice said in a thoughtful tone. "When I make a word do a lot of work like that," said Humpty Dumpty, "I always pay it extra."

Monday 6 June 2011

Semi-free

   
Don't you just love it! I couldn't resist doing a second word blog today when I came across this 'word' on an Amazon advert -
"Free (and semi-free) Literary Classics for the Kindle (US & UK) by Marilyn Knapp Litt - Avid Reader (Kindle Edition - 18 Mar 2011)".

I wouldn't bother searching your dictionary - I doubt it's word that's going to catch on.

2 comments:

  1. The concept of something being semi-free boggles the brain. Free = zero cost. Any mathmatical treatment of zero = zero. 2 x 0 = 0. 0/2=0. Ergo semi-free = free QED

    Logically using a syllogism: Free=zero and semi=half, zero x half = zero therefore free x semi = free.

    Why do people say these things?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Indeed, why do they? Anyone using their brains will shake their heads at a "semi-free" offer, but I am quite sure that a lot of people still go for it, as long as the four letters "F R E E" appear anywhere.

    ReplyDelete