"That's a great deal to make one word mean," Alice said in a thoughtful tone. "When I make a word do a lot of work like that," said Humpty Dumpty, "I always pay it extra."

Friday 12 August 2011

Necessary


I always thought necessary was an adjective -and only an adjective. As such it means being essential, indispensable, or requisite.

I thought the noun was necessity but it turns out that necessary is also a noun - something necessary or requisite; a necessity.


Some people have problems spelling necessary. I pointed out the other day that I membered it by saying "It is necessary to have one collar and two studs". It was pointed out to me that the modern generation wouldn't know anything about collar studs - good point!




1 comment:

  1. In German, people the age of my parents say Necessaire for a small cosmetics/toiletries bag, which is quite descriptive since such a bag should contain your necessaries for the bathroom when you travel.

    ReplyDelete