"That's a great deal to make one word mean," Alice said in a thoughtful tone. "When I make a word do a lot of work like that," said Humpty Dumpty, "I always pay it extra."

Monday 26 March 2012

Amigurumi

 
Although I tend to concentrate on English words there are occasionally words from other languages that sneak into English and become commonly used. We already commonly use origami, ikebana and bonsai and I think amigurumi may well join them.


Amigurumi (編みぐるみ?, lit. crocheted or knitted stuffed toy) is the Japanese art of knitting or crocheting small stuffed animals and anthropomorphic creatures. The word is derived from a combination of the Japanese words ami, meaning crocheted or knitted, and nuigurumi, meaning stuffed doll. Amigurumi are typically animals, but can include artistic renderings or inanimate objects endowed with anthropomorphic features, as is typical in Japanese culture.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for visiting my blog! You invented quite a lot of new words in your comment! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh dear, RR. I certainly did, didn't I.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I, too, find words/origins fascinating! I have to follow this one, as well!
    Best,
    Anne

    ReplyDelete