"That's a great deal to make one word mean," Alice said in a thoughtful tone. "When I make a word do a lot of work like that," said Humpty Dumpty, "I always pay it extra."

Sunday 17 February 2013

Pica


Some pregnant women are said to suffer from pica but I have never actually met one.  Pica is the craving for eating non-comestible items like chalk and ashes.  It is pronounced PIKE-er and the word has been around since 1563.  


It appears to have its origins in the habits of the Magpie (French pica and now scientific name Pica pica).  Known for picking up glittery things, Magpies were thought to eat them.

3 comments:

  1. I met a woman at playgroup once who had eaten coal, when asked what it tasted like she said 'like coal' :-)
    thanks for sharing
    martine

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like magpies and often watch them from my kitchen window. Their scientific name fits them well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember "That's Life" had a woman that ate bark while pregnant as a guest one time.

    ReplyDelete