"That's a great deal to make one word mean," Alice said in a thoughtful tone. "When I make a word do a lot of work like that," said Humpty Dumpty, "I always pay it extra."

Saturday 1 February 2014

Acyrologias and malapropisms

Acyrologia (noun; plural acyrologias)

An acyrologia is an inexact, inappropriate or improper use of a word.  It can be applied to the inexact use of words in place of ones with a similar sound, more usually thought of as a malapropism after Mrs Malaprop, a character in the Sheridan play 'The Rifles' or should that be 'The Rivals'.  

A malapropism (also called a Dogberryism) is the use of an incorrect word in place of a word with a similar sound, resulting in a nonsensical, often humorous utterance. An example is Yogi Berra's statement: "Texas has a lot of electrical votes," rather than "electoral votes".  The word malapropism comes ultimately from the French mal à propos meaning "inappropriate" via "Mrs. Malaprop", a character in the Richard Brinsley Sheridan comedy 'The Rivals' (1775) who habitually misused her words. Dogberryism comes from "Officer Dogberry", the name of a character in the William Shakespeare play 'Much Ado About Nothing'. These are the two best-known fictional characters who made this kind of error — there are many other examples.   Malapropisms also occur as errors in natural speech.  Malapropisms are often the subject of media attention, especially when made by politicians or other prominent individuals.

5 comments:

  1. Oops - meant to thank GB for the word acyrologia which was new to me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You didn't have to thank me CJ. It must be a first: a word I knew that you didn't. But then it's probably something I'm more likely to do than you are. Oddly it's a word I have great difficulty saying. It came to mind because I wrote a comment on a post a few days ago using the word 'exalting' instead of 'exhorting'. It so upset me when I saw it that I had to delete the original post thus drawing even more attention to my booboo.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Malapropisms i've heard of, as well as Spoonerism, but acyrologia is a new one to me. What's really fun is to listen to children -- they so innocently come up with the not-quite-right word that it can be quite hard not to laugh at the poor dears.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I never heard of acyrologia either (and how on earth DOES one pronounce it). Malapropism I've heard of and probably understood in context, but not sure I could call it part of my active vocabulary...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Example: Its good two sea ewe hear.

    ReplyDelete