"That's a great deal to make one word mean," Alice said in a thoughtful tone. "When I make a word do a lot of work like that," said Humpty Dumpty, "I always pay it extra."

Sunday 25 May 2014

Witling

   A witling is (or rather 'was' since, regrettably, the term is no longer used) a person who fancies himself a wit, but isn't.  This term for an utterer of light or feeble witticisms was first used in 1693.  Please may we bring it back into use? 

(According to the spellchecker I have invented the word 'utterer'.  It seems to me to be quite an acceptable word for one who utters!)

3 comments:

  1. I shall do my best to help the resurrection.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is this similar to my calling the kittens "nickel-wit" when they do something silly? Actually, i do like this word, as i'm sure i know a few witlings in real life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's a wonderful word - "witling". (And I did not react to the word "utterer".)

    ReplyDelete