"That's a great deal to make one word mean," Alice said in a thoughtful tone. "When I make a word do a lot of work like that," said Humpty Dumpty, "I always pay it extra."

Saturday 3 January 2009

Putter

I always thought a putter was a golf club (as indeed it is) but I also discovered it was a verb when Don used it the other day. He said "But I like getting things done, so I started the year puttering around the house."

Dictionary.com defines Putter: To waste (time) in idling: puttered away the hours in the garden.

It is obviously a variant of 'potter', another super word, and both are defined as "to work lightly; do random, unplanned work or activities or spend time idly."

1 comment:

  1. Oh my, I mastered in "puttering" and only found out about a "Putter" when learning of golf in high school ;o).

    Happy day to you, John!

    ReplyDelete