"That's a great deal to make one word mean," Alice said in a thoughtful tone. "When I make a word do a lot of work like that," said Humpty Dumpty, "I always pay it extra."

Sunday 25 January 2009

Solipsism

Solipsism (Latin: solus, alone + ipse, self) is the philosophical idea that "My mind is the only thing that I know exists.”

The notion that it is impossible ever to know another person, so why bother? This can end up in with an absolute egotism - a refusal to acknowledge the needs or even existence of others.

4 comments:

  1. Whoa. That's pretty heavy. Poor soul with that problem.
    Although, I agree that we can never absolutely know someone else entirely, it's okay. Maybe it's the mystery that keeps bringing us back?
    Psht! What do I know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your comments on Cowgirl's blog were marvelous!

    I also thank you for your recent visit to my blog. The painting was done in oil paint. I use oils and watercolor in my paintings.

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. As far as I know, it can have a milder connotation, as in a "self-centered viewpoint." Right?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Lynda, it may well be so. There is often a difference between the dictionary definition and how people end up using a word.

    ReplyDelete