"That's a great deal to make one word mean," Alice said in a thoughtful tone. "When I make a word do a lot of work like that," said Humpty Dumpty, "I always pay it extra."

Tuesday 28 July 2009

Acnestis

 
The acnestis is the point on your back between your shoulder blades where you cannot reach to scratch. The acnestis, being a fine demonstrator of Sod's Law, is the place on the human body which is most likely to itch.

The word is not in common usage because one is usually too busy swearing to think of it.
 

7 comments:

  1. Ah, this post brought a smile to my face. Who knew there was a word for that terrible, terrible spot?

    ReplyDelete
  2. well now l can swear at it by name in the shower..hasn't a ring to it rally...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I could swear that midges and clegs know where this spot is to be found!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think that there is more than one point. The coverage is symmetrical (given no joint problems or different length arms) and I think there is a point on each side of the spine. But I've been known (many times) to be wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Regarding your blog introduction: I believe author Beverly Cleary speaks of "airy persiflage" in her autobiography, "My Own Two Feet."

    What's the word for a lover of words? A logophile? If so, Long Live Logophiles!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you, Octoberprairie. Logophile is a word I should surely have had on this blog. A serious omission!

    ReplyDelete