"That's a great deal to make one word mean," Alice said in a thoughtful tone. "When I make a word do a lot of work like that," said Humpty Dumpty, "I always pay it extra."

Wednesday 15 July 2009

Rambunctious

 
The Archduchess used the word rambunctious the other day. Brother-who-blogs suggested it would make a good word for this blog and he was right.

Rambunctious means boisterous, noisy and lacking in restraint or discipline; energetic and difficult to control.

"We have a bit of trouble keeping the more rambunctious of our tenants in check..." (The Archduchess - the tenants in this case not being students partying all night but plants in the greenhouse!)

The wonderful noun from this word is rambunctiousness - The characteristic of being rambunctious.
 

4 comments:

  1. OH, you certainly did NOT have to define this one for me. I've a house full of it this week, with the weather being so drifty...rains, storms, sunshine for a few minutes while everything is wet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That image of children confined to the house just about sums the word up, Heather!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Absolutely, you two. Having had two boys, I get that!
    I like that the Archduchess used it about plants! I have a couple of those too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thought you'd like that one CJ.

    ReplyDelete