"That's a great deal to make one word mean," Alice said in a thoughtful tone. "When I make a word do a lot of work like that," said Humpty Dumpty, "I always pay it extra."

Tuesday 22 September 2009

Lounge

 
The verb to lounge means to sit or recline comfortably. It can also be used in the sense of hanging around or loitering.

The noun is usually used to mean an area with seating - such as a public area in a hotel or airport - or the main living room in a house.

I was unaware, until I read Anita Shreve's 'The Weight of Water' that a lounge was also a sofa; an upholstered seat for more than one person.
 

2 comments:

  1. I did not know the word as piece of furniture either. My first contact with 'lounge' was on our travels in Britain in my teens when we used to stay at small country hotels. A place to wait and sometimes have a cup of tea...

    ReplyDelete