"That's a great deal to make one word mean," Alice said in a thoughtful tone. "When I make a word do a lot of work like that," said Humpty Dumpty, "I always pay it extra."

Saturday 2 January 2010

Longueur

Longueur is a period of dullness or boredom (especially in a work of literature or performing art); a lengthy passage in a dramatic or literary work, especially a dull or tedious one.

(Can I take this opportunity at the New Year to thank my readers, in particular Shabby Girl, for their visits and their comments. Knowing you are out there makes doing this blog feel worthwhile. Hopefully there are not too many periods of dullness or boredom in the posts.)

1 comment:

  1. I don't think you need to worry about that....There aren't ANY boring posts here! I always feel I learn something new. Even when I know the word, there's usually a "back story" that I haven't heard before.

    Canadian Chickadee

    ReplyDelete