"That's a great deal to make one word mean," Alice said in a thoughtful tone. "When I make a word do a lot of work like that," said Humpty Dumpty, "I always pay it extra."

Tuesday 6 April 2010

Durian

For some reason I made a note of the word ‘Durian’ for my blog but I couldn’t recall where from. It is unusual for me to simply blog a word meaning something like a fruit – does Durian have another meaning that I cannot trace?

The durian is a tree of southeastern Asia with an edible oval fruit of the smae name. It has a hard spiny rind whose seeds are roasted and eaten like nuts'.   The durian is described as `smelling like Hell and tasting like Heaven'; the durian is often called 'The 'King of fruits' by fruit aficionados.


Nowadays in Singapore, when people talk of the durian they are as likely to mean the Esplanade Theatre/Concerthall complex.

2 comments:

  1. I'd never make it past a bad smell...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've tried it and it's YUCK! LoL :D It really made me feel nauseated and dizzy. But yeah, lots of people love this fruit... Would you believe? There's even a durian-flavored candy now (... oh! and ice cream, too!)... tried it already and it's good! :)

    ReplyDelete