"That's a great deal to make one word mean," Alice said in a thoughtful tone. "When I make a word do a lot of work like that," said Humpty Dumpty, "I always pay it extra."

Sunday 31 March 2013

Sophomania



Sophomania is yet another word that isn’t in my Shorter Oxford Dictionary but which is defined on-line.  It means having the delusion that one is wise; an abnormal over estimation of one’s own wisdom; a passion for grandiose statements about one’s own wisdom. I suspect a lot of us suffer from this at one time or another!
  

3 comments:

  1. I tried to figure out the meaning of this word before reading your definition - arriving at the guess it was to do with obsessive search for wisdom (rather than belief that one already possessed it). I guess I kind of tripped over my own feet there, LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I certainly do not suffer from it :-) To say it in simple French, "Je sais que je ne sais rien".

    ReplyDelete