"That's a great deal to make one word mean," Alice said in a thoughtful tone. "When I make a word do a lot of work like that," said Humpty Dumpty, "I always pay it extra."

Monday 1 April 2013

Maudlin

 Maudlin is an adjective meaning self-pitying or tearfully sentimental. One dictionary suggested it was feeling sad and sorry for yourself, especially after you have drunk a lot of alcohol. I shall have to stop using the expression to refer to how I'm feeling or people will get the wrong impression.

5 comments:

  1. ha! I did not realize about the connection with alcohol! thanks.
    Happy Easter! Easter season lasts six weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I use maudlin regularly along with dower.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope that doesn't mean folk around you are too maudlin!

      Delete
  3. I'm Scottish, what do you think?

    ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It generally refers to the mental state of old retired men sitting morosely at the neighborhood bar around 3:30 PM, quietly drinking beer and wondering why life sucks.

    ReplyDelete