"That's a great deal to make one word mean," Alice said in a thoughtful tone. "When I make a word do a lot of work like that," said Humpty Dumpty, "I always pay it extra."

Tuesday 11 November 2008

Eclectic

 
There are a number of words that I come across which I sort of half-know. I appreciate what they roughly mean when in context but I couldn’t write a definition of them.


Eclectic is one such word so I checked the definitions and they included:-

Mixing elements from different ideas, sources, styles, colours, materials or periods that together look tasteful.

Personalized decorating style that combines furniture and accessories of various styles, textures, origins, and periods.

Applied to systems of philosophy or religion which cull the best from a variety of systems and doctrines.

It comes from the Greek eklektikos meaning selective or picking out.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment