"That's a great deal to make one word mean," Alice said in a thoughtful tone. "When I make a word do a lot of work like that," said Humpty Dumpty, "I always pay it extra."

Thursday 13 November 2008

Gloathing

When I set up this blog it was to record new words I came across and favourite words that I already knew. I forgot about sniglets. Sniglets are words that don't appear in the dictionary, but should. See Sniglets and More Sniglets.

I’ve come across a super sniglet created by mistake by Sara. She misspelled the word ‘gloating’ on her blog the other day. It came out as gloathing. When she discovered her error she pointed out ‘I do sort of like the word "gloathing." "Gloating" + "loathing" -- I know there's a place in the English language for such a word, especially around election time.’

So I would define gloathing as “Malicious satisfaction when something unpleasant happens to someone you detest.”

(Sara is one of the many people whose blogs I read because I find their positive approach to life inspiring. Nearly all of them suffer from health issues far worse than mine. )
 

No comments:

Post a Comment