"That's a great deal to make one word mean," Alice said in a thoughtful tone. "When I make a word do a lot of work like that," said Humpty Dumpty, "I always pay it extra."

Wednesday 3 December 2008

Meme

A meme consists of any unit of cultural information, such as a practice or idea, that gets transmitted verbally or by repeated action from one mind to another. Examples include thoughts, ideas, theories, practices, habits, songs, dances and moods and terms such as race, culture, and ethnicity.

It is becoming quite a commonly used word on blogs to indicate an idea, project, statement or even a question that is posted by one blog and responded to by other blogs.

2 comments:

  1. I remember the first time I saw this on a blog. I just thought someone was spelling something wrong. Then it popped up a few more times. Of course I was pronoucing it Me Me in my head and had no clue what people were talking about... finally looked it up... doohhh. Just glad I never said it out loud.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I realised when reading Dawn Treader's blog earlier that I didn't really know what meme meant although I see it frequently in blogs. I had not remembered your post but I thought to myself: CJ will have osted on that one. Sure enough. Your blog is becomming an invaluable reference as well as a teaching/learning medium.

    ReplyDelete