"That's a great deal to make one word mean," Alice said in a thoughtful tone. "When I make a word do a lot of work like that," said Humpty Dumpty, "I always pay it extra."

Friday 5 April 2013

The dreaded lurgi



The dreaded lurgi is a severe illness or allergy but you won’t find it in any medical dictionary.  (Lurgi is pronounced LUR-Ghee with a hard g). Although it is commonly used to refer to a cold or flu it is a fictional illness invented by that exceptional British radio series, The Goon Show in 1954.

2 comments:

  1. Ah, the Goons! methinks they left all their listeners with a bad case of permanent Lurgi - once caught, never cleared! Hehehe! Bless 'em...

    ReplyDelete
  2. That explains everything, we used that word as a family and I never knew where ti came from, my dad was always a fan of the Goon Show.
    thanks for clearing that up for me.

    ReplyDelete