"That's a great deal to make one word mean," Alice said in a thoughtful tone. "When I make a word do a lot of work like that," said Humpty Dumpty, "I always pay it extra."

Wednesday 24 April 2013

Wingnut

 Someone, mentioning no names, Heather, described herself as a wingnut recently.  Now this is the only sort of wingnut I know –
  - a nut with a pair of wings to enable it to be turned without tools, used where frequent adjustments are needed or part removal can be made quickly at some later stage.


Obviously she wasn’t talking about that sort of wingnut and being an oldie I had to look it’s modern usage up in Urban Dictionary - "(noun) A person appearing to be moderately to severely crazy, disoriented, majobling, jumbled and more often than not, a total mess. A wingnut is a constant source of entertainment to those surrounding it and can easily be found in any type of setting or venue. Example: grocery stores, sporting events, cross-walks, public transportation, school, work…you may even have one in your house."

Majobling????!!!!  I thought wingnut was weird enough....

1 comment:

  1. oh, my, I had no idea about the more modern usage of wingnut. I'll stick with the picture in my head of the one pictured here.

    ReplyDelete